Isle of Wight Council

Trading Standards - Agriculture and Animals

Farmers and Livestock

Service Update: COVID-19

Advice for pet owners and livestock keepers on maintaining the welfare of their animals during the coronavirus pandemic can be found GOV.UK website - animal and plant health


Coronavirus 2020.

During this unprecedented period, we are trying to offer as full a service as possible.  If you need to contact this service, please use Email in the first instance or telephone 01983 823000 and leave a message with the call centre.

If you are isolated and struggling the Isle of Wight Council has a helpline 01983 823600 (open 09:00 -17:00) during this period. In addition, Farming Help helpline 0845 367 9990 & Farming Community Network (FCN)03000 111 999 (open 07:00 -23:00) can assist, advise and sign post you to additional support.

Farming and food production are essential in this ongoing pandemic, and it is more important than ever to conform with the regulations, having regard for the welfare of your livestock, practicing good biosecurity, observing standstill periods, reporting livestock movements and keeping records accurate and up to date.

For current information please follow the links to updated Government advice & guidance.


Be aware of fraud

We will not call you or send you emails or texts asking you to confirm your personal details or payment information.

·       Never discuss your bank account details with someone you do not know

·       We will not ask you to make a payment over the phone

·       Delete any emails or texts you do not believe are genuine

·       Do not open any links unless from our main email addresses:





·       Be cautious about what information you share externally, particularly on social media

If you suspect an attempted fraud or feel you have been the subject of fraud, you can contact:

·       RPA’s Fraud Referral Team on 0800 347 347 or

·       Action Fraud (the UK’s national reporting centre for fraud and cyber-crime) on 0300 123 2040

Published 1 April 2020

Coronavirus (COVID-19): information for farmers, landowners and rural businesses - GOV.UK


Farmers and Livestock

Animal Health and Welfare section relates to disease control and welfare of farmed animals. We sit in the Trading Standards Service and are responsible for the enforcement of animal health and welfare legislation, with an aim to prevent disease risks to both animal and human health.

We can advise on record keeping requirements for livestock movements, births and deaths, livestock identification, animal transport, bio security, disposal of animal by-products (including animal carcases) and animal health and disease control measures.

We work closely with the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA).  To find out more information, visit their website by clicking here.

Welfare of Livestock

·       On-farm animal welfare, this covers all aspects of welfare for all typical farmed species, including transport:

·       Code of Recommendations for Sheep

·       Code of Recommendations for Cattle

·       Code of Recommendations for Pigs  


Biosecurity Advice:


Notifiable Disease: if you suspect a notifiable livestock disease you MUST report it straight away to the Animal & Plant Health Agency on 03000 200 301. For further information please go to:   


Defra Approved Disinfectants:


Emergency Destruction & Independent Fallenstock Disposal:

In case of emergency destruction please contact your private vet or alternatively

·       B Isaacson - 07807 811040 Licensed Slaughterman (by captive bolt or free bullet)                                       

Home Slaughter.  The home slaughter of livestock for you and your immediate family’s consumption is permissible.  You MUST NOT supply to anyone outside of your household.  You MUST comply with welfare regulations.

For complete guidance on the law please follow the links below:


Reporting Livestock Movements

·       Sheep & Goats


·       Cattle


·       Pigs

African Swine Fever

This is an emerging threat in Europe and could decimate the pig production business in the UK. It is illegal to feed livestock catering waste and animal by products.

Please see the Government advice on what to look for, and what to do if you suspect African Swine Fever:


Avian influenza – (bird flu) - What you need to know and do

Updated March 2020

For the latest information on Avian influenza, please follow this LINK

If you suspect a case of Avian Influenza contact DEFRA on 03459 33 55 77.

It is vital that anyone who keeps birds, (whether a few in the back garden or thousands on a commercial unit) is vigilant. 

All poultry keepers should:

·       Minimise movement in and out of bird enclosures,

·       clean footwear before and after visiting birds, using a Government approved disinfectant at entrances and exits,

·       clean and disinfect vehicles and equipment that have come into contact with poultry,

·       keep areas where birds live clean and tidy, and regularly disinfect hard surfaces such as paths and walkways,

·       humanely control rats and mice,

·       place birds’ food and water in fully enclosed areas protected from wild birds, and remove any spilled feed regularly,

·       keep birds separate from wildlife and wild waterfowl by putting suitable fencing around outdoor areas they access,

·       keep a close watch on birds for any signs of disease and report any very sick birds or unexplained deaths to your vet.

·       Poultry keepers who have 50 or more birds must register with Defra. Click here to register with Defra.

·       It is recommended anyone who keeps birds register for the free Alert service, click here to register for this service.


Related Documents and Policies

Please click on the links below to access relevant record/register forms:

·       Poultry & Egg Record Form (PDF, 31.34KB, 3 pages).

·       Cattle Records (PDF, 33.64KB, 5 pages).

·       Sheep and Goats Holding Register (PDF, 756.58KB, 56 pages)

·       AML1 movement document.

·       Pig Records (PDF, 18.18KB, 5 pages).

Please note: If you require specific advice on this subject, please contact the Trading Standards Service for further assistance, by clicking on the 'Contact' tab above where you can either send an email message using the 'Send a message to this service' tab or telephone on the number provided.