Trading Standards - Business Advice

Explosives (Fireworks) and Poisons

To sell fireworks you must register with the council. The licence application form should be completed and returned. Ensure you have read the guidance notes included within the application form.

Usually a licence will be granted for storage up to 250kg Net Explosive Content of HT4 (1.4G) fireworks. This is subject to an inspection for the suitability of your intended storage. Once licenced you are able to sell fireworks at specified times of the year:

  • Bonfire Night: 15 October - 10 November
  • Diwali: 3 days before and on the day of festival
  • New Year: 26 December - 31 December
  • Chinese New Year: 3 days before and on the day of festival.

Storage of fireworks on a licence must be in compliance with the conditions set out in the licence.

  • Explosives licence application form
  • Dates you can sell
  • Fees
  • Fireworks Statutory Notice 

If you want to sell fireworks at any other time of the year you will need to buy an extra licence at a cost of £500. The fees increase if you intend to store more than 250kg Net Explosive Content of HT4 (1.4G) fireworks. Any 1.3G fireworks will reduce the amount of your storage.

To apply for a licence please complete the application and risk assessment forms. You must also submit a site plan of where the proposed storage will be.

Further Information

Explosive Regulations 2014 Guidance 

Fireworks Notice