Isle of Wight Council

Elections Management

Frequently Asked Questions for this Service

Question: What is the purpose of the "Open" or "Edited" Register of Electors?

Answer: The Open, or Edited, Register of Electors is the commercial version of the Register, and details within it can be sold to any person or organisation, and they can use them for any purpose. If you want your details excluded from the Open, or Edited, Register, then please tick the "Open Register" box on the registration form.
Using information received from the public, registration officers keep two registers – the electoral register and the open register (also known as the edited register).
The electoral register lists the names and addresses of everyone who is registered to vote in public elections. The register is used for electoral purposes, such as making sure only eligible people can vote. It is also used for other limited purposes specified in law, such as detecting crime (e.g. fraud), calling people for jury service and checking credit applications.
The open register is an extract of the electoral register, but is not used for elections. It can be bought by any person, company or organisation. For example, it is used by businesses and charities to confirm name and address details.
Your name and address will be included in the open register unless you ask for them to be removed. Removing your details from the open register does not affect your right to vote. You can change your opt-out preference at any time by making a request with your full name, address and an indication of whether you wish to be included in or omitted from the edited register. You can do this in writing or over the phone by calling 01983 823380. We will also write to you to confirm any change.

Has this FAQ answered your query?

Question: What is the deadline for returning my postal vote?

Answer: Postal votes can be handed in at any Polling Station in your electoral area, or returned in the post. Whichever method is used they must be received by the time polls close (10:00pm) on the day of the election.

Has this FAQ answered your query?

Question: I have received a form for a 2nd property that I own, but which is currently empty. What should I do?

Answer: If a property is empty then the owner cannot be residing at the address, and so should not be registered.

Please cross out any pre-printed names and tick the box in the section headed "Nobody Eligible to Vote" to show that the property is empty before signing, dating and returning the form.

Has this FAQ answered your query?

Question: Which countries citizens are eligible to register and vote?

Answer: Citizens of the following countries can be Registered as Electors:

Commonwealth countries:

Antigua and Barbuda Jamaica St Vincent & The Grenadines
Australia Kenya Samoa
The Bahamas Kiribati Seychelles
Bangladesh Lesotho Sierra Leone
Barbados Malawi Singapore
Belize Malaysia Solomon Islands
Botswana Maldives South Africa
Brunei Darussalam Malta Sri Lanka
Cameroon Mauritius Swaziland
Canada Mozambique United Republic of Tanzania
Cyprus Namibia Tonga
Dominica Nauru Trinidad & Tobago
Fiji Islands New Zealand Tuvalu
Nigeria Uganda
Ghana Pakistan United Kingdom
Grenada Papua New Guinea Vanuatu
Guyana St Kitts & Nevis Zambia
India St Lucia Zimbabwe
NB: Citizens of Fiji and Zimbabwe retain their voting rights despite the countries having been suspended from the Commonwealth

Register as per Commonwealth countries: Hong Kong and Republic of Ireland

British Overseas Territories: Anguilla Gibraltar
Bermuda Montserrat
British Antarctic Territory Pitcairn Island
British Indian Ocean Territory St Helena
British Virgin Islands St Helena dependencies (Ascension Island, Tristan da Cunha)
Cayman Islands South Georgia & the South Sandwich Islands
Falkland Islands Turks and Caicos Islands

European Union member states:

Austria Germany The Netherlands
Belgium Greece Poland
Bulgaria Hungary Portugal
Cyprus Republic of Ireland Romania
Czech Republic Italy Slovakia
Denmark Latvia Slovenia
Estonia Lithuania Spain
Finland Luxembourg Sweden
France Malta

Citizens of the Republic of Ireland, Cyprus and Malta are eligible to be registered to vote in respect of all elections held in the UK.

European Union citizens may only vote in Local elections (and not in UK Parliamentary elections)

Has this FAQ answered your query?

Question: How do I prove that I have an entry on the Register of Electors?

Answer: Electoral Services can provide written proof that an individual has an entry on the Register of Electors.

To comply with the Data Protection Act the applicant has to write a letter to Electoral Services, County Hall, Newport, Isle Of Wight, PO30 1UD giving their full name and address, and stating that they would like confirmation of their entry on the Register.

The letter must be signed by the applicant.

The confirmation is usually sent within one working day of receipt, to the address at which the applicant is registered.

Has this FAQ answered your query?

Question: Am I on the Electoral Register?

Answer: To confirm if you are on the electoral register you need to contact the Council's Contact Centre on (01983) 823380. If you have recently received a Poll Card for a forthcoming election then you are already registered as an elector.

Has this FAQ answered your query?

Question: Where can I find details of the election results?

Answer: These are available from the Isle Of Wight Council website

The full address is:

- Related Link

Has this FAQ answered your query?

Question: How do I add my details to the Electoral Register?

Answer: It is quicker and easier to register on-line at You will need your date of birth, and your National Insurance number. If you do not have access to the internet please call Electoral Services on 01983 823380 and they will complete the form for you, or tell us your name and address and we can post a form to you. - Related Link

Has this FAQ answered your query?