Isle of Wight Council

Village Greens

Frequently Asked Questions for this Service

Question: How do I get a bit of land registered as a village green?

Answer: Contact the Tree Team at Seaclose for advice and a form.

Has this FAQ answered your query?

Question: I want to report illegal works to a village green.

Answer: The Council is only involved in registering greens, not their management. The Council does not enforce village green legislation once a green has been registered. This area of law is very complex and you should seek advice from a solicitor to discover what you can do.

Has this FAQ answered your query?

Question: Is this land a village green or common land?

Answer: You can find out about such areas on the Isle of Wight by contacting Local Land Charges who carry out Searches of the Register of Common Land and Village Greens.

NB Village greens and common land are not the same thing. - Related Link

Has this FAQ answered your query?