About the Councillors
The Isle of Wight Council was created in 1995 as a unitary or all-purpose authority, responsible for virtually all local government activities on the Island. It replaced the former Isle of Wight County Council and the two borough councils of Medina and South Wight. In addition to the Isle of Wight Council there are 33 town and parish councils, which cover the whole Island. These look after a variety of local issues such as some recreation grounds, some amenity grass cutting and many operate other facilities in their areas.
The Isle of Wight Council has 40 elected councillors. The current political make-up is detailed below:
- 25 The Conservative Group;
- 8 The Island Independents Group;
- 2 Liberal Democrat Group;
- 2 Independent Members Group;
- 2 1957 Group
- 1 Independent
To find out more about each councillor, view our Who's Who guide (PDF, 342KB, 1 page) or individual member pages are available by name or by region . The full Council normally meets in the months of May, July, September, November, January and February in the Council Chamber at County Hall, Newport.
There are also a number of other panels, boards, partnerships and groups on which councillors are represented. In addition councillors serve on numerous outside bodies, including the Hampshire Police Authority (based in Winchester) which is responsible for the policing of both Hampshire and the Isle of Wight. At the annual meeting of the Council (usually in May in each year) a number of appointments are made to various offices.
Annual Meeting Appointments
At the Council meeting on 15 May 2019 Councillor George Cameron was elected as Chair of the Isle of Wight Council, and Councillor Shirley Smart was elected Vice Chairman.
Other members of the Cabinet are:
- Leader and Cabinet Member for Strategic Partnerships: Councillor Dave Stewart.
- Deputy Leader and Cabinet Member for Resources: Councillor Stuart Hutchinson.
- Cabinet Member for Infrastructure and Transport: Councillor Ian Ward.
- Cabinet Member for Children's Services, Education and Skills: Councillor Paul Brading.
- Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Business Development: Councillor Wayne Whittle.
- Cabinet Member for Adult Social Care and Public Health: Councillor Clare Mosdell.
- Cabinet Member for Planning and Housing: Councillor Barry Abraham.
- Cabinet Member for Environment and Heritage: Councillor John Hobart.
- Cabinet Member for Community Safety and Public Protection: Councillor Tig Outlaw.
- Cabinet Member for Procurement, Waste Management, Special Projects and Forward Planning: Councillor Steve Hastings
View Cabinet Members' service area responsibilities.
Other appointments are:
- Appeals Committee - Chairman: Councillor John Kilpatrick.
- Appointments Committee - Chairman: Leader, Councillor Dave Stewart.
- Audit Committee - Chairman: Councillor Brian Tyndall
- Health and Wellbeing Board - Chairman: Leader, Councillor Dave Stewart.
- IW Pension Fund Committee - Chairman: Councillor Adrian Axford.
- Licensing Committee - Chairman: Councillor Charles Chapman.
- Planning Committee - Chairman: Councillor Chris Quirk, Vice Chairman: Councillor Matthew Price.
- Policy and Scrutiny Committee for Adult Social Care and Health - Chairman: Councillor John Nicholson.
- Policy and Scrutiny Committee for Children's Services - Chairman: Councillor Vanessa Churchman.
- Policy and Scrutiny Committee for Regeneration, Planning, Housing and the Environment - Chairman: Councillor Michael Beston
- Scrutiny Committee - Chairman: Councillor Andrew Garratt, Vice Chairman: Councillor Michael Lilley.