Isle of Wight Council Wellbeing Service page on iwight.com
*** Due to COVID-19 all face-to-face clinics for stop smoking services and weight management groups will now transfer to telephone support until further notice. All patients new and existing will be offered this support. Self-referrals for stop smoking can be made through the normal route:***
Please call 01983 823670 or email: email@example.com. You will be asked to leave your name and contact details (this can be your phone number or email address) and for the best time to contact you. Please leave a message and we will get back to you within 5 working days to discuss how we can help you.
Referrals for weight management must be made by a health professional or Jobcentre+/DWP by completing the attached referral.
Please note physical activity referrals to 1Leisure and health walks have been suspended until further notice. Please signpost clients for physical activity to national resources available on:
We have three wellbeing advisors, trained in behaviour change, delivering the service across the Island. They are able to impart their knowledge and skills to facilitate individuals in identifying a health issue they wish to change and enabling them to do so.
Group sessions are run at various times in; Ryde, Newport, Sandown, Shanklin and Freshwater.
Wellbeing advisors are able to support the following issues:
- Weight loss
- Quitting smoking
- Physical inactivity
In order to be registered onto the correct programme you must call the Wellbeing Service Triage line on: 01983 823670
Please note: the Wellbeing Service triage line is only manned part-time, please call between:
- Tuesday 9am - 12.30pm
- Wednesday 1pm - 5pm
- Thursday 9am - 5pm
Should you call outside these hours or are unsuccessful in getting through please leave a message with your:
- Contact details and best time to return your call.
- Referral programme (smoking cessation, weight management or 1Leisure exercise scheme).
Alternatively email the above details to: firstname.lastname@example.org
You will be contacted within 5 working days
Information about the Programmes
Weight loss support
This programme is 12 weeks of 1 hour group sessions, led by one of the wellbeing advisors. There is no diet plan, sessions focus on lifestyle and behavioural change with a number of tools to help you achieve your goals.
- Individual weigh in,
- Focus on a different healthy eating topic,
- Group support on lessons learnt,
- Goal setting.
Requirements: Referral must be made by Health professional or Jobcentre+/ DWP
- 18 years or older.
- BMI of 27 or over.
- Must not have an eating disorder.
- Must not be pregnant.
- Must not have been referred to this service for weight loss in the last 12 months.
- Must not have previously had bariatric surgery.
- If BMI ≥40 or ≥35 with co morbidities, must not have previously accessed self-funded, self-directed diet programme or commercial slimming group eg Slimming World, Weight watchers etc and/or Wellbeing service in last 2 years
Stop Smoking Support
This programme is 12 week group course, led by one of the wellbeing advisors utilising a variety of tools and options to enable individuals to find out what works for them.
- Set a quit date,
- Prepare for success,
- 4 weeks free Nicotine replacement product or a course of specialist medication (to be monitored by Pharmacist),
- Individual Carbon Monoxide (CO) level monitoring.
- Gain understanding on your triggers and how to avoid them.
- Group support on lessons learnt.
Become more active
Exercise on Prescription scheme operated by 1Leisure in partnership with the wellbeing service.
Please note: The scheme cannot be accessed directly with 1Leisure or without a referral from a health professional
- 4 months ½ price membership (Direct debit only).
- £10 sign-up fee to cover usage until direct debit activated.
- Unlimited use of facilities at 1Leisure facilities; The Heights (Sandown), Medina Leisure Centre (Newport) or Westridge (Ryde).
- One to one support from a qualified gym instructor.
- Free gym induction.
- Free parking permit for the facilities listed above.