Housing Enforcement


Drainage Issues

Southern Water are adopting certain private sewer pipes, that connect homes and commercial properties to existing Public Sewers. The changes in legislation, made on 1st July 2011 and coming into effect on 1st October 2011, transfer certain responsibilities of these pipes from the users to Southern Water.

Please note that this change does not affect the responsibility of privately owned septic tanks and cesspits (and their connecting pipe-work), large multi-occupier commercial sites, and sewers that carry water directly to a watercourse. Drains from your building that are within the boundaries of your property remain your responsibility.

Private pumping stations will not be transferred immediately, but must be transferred by October 2016.

If you wish to report a problem with a drain or sewer, or for further information regarding responsibilities please click here for the Southern Water homepage or contact Southern Water on Telephone number: 08452 780845.

If you would like to advise the Council about an escape of drainage, please select the 'Forms' tab at the top of this page and complete the form entitled 'Drainage enquiry Request Form'.