How to arrange a Citizenship Ceremony
Citizenship ceremonies are the final step in the process for people who have been successful in gaining British citizenship.
Successful applicants aged 18 or over have to take part in a ceremony where they swear or affirm an Oath of Allegiance to Her Majesty the Queen and pledge loyalty to the United Kingdom. It is a way of formally welcoming new citizens into our community. There is no legal requirement for those under 18 to attend, however they are welcome to attend to receive their certificate.
Once your application has been successful, the Home Office will confirm this to you in writing and at the same time forward your paperwork to your local Register Office.
When you receive your letter of approval from the Home Office, please contact us online by completing the send a message to service form.
Once we have received your form we will contact you to discuss your citizenship ceremony.
You are required to attend the ceremony within 3 months of the approval being granted, otherwise you may have to make a new application.
- Ceremonies last 20 minutes.
- The ceremonies take place in the St Catherine's Room at Seaclose Offices, Fairlee Road, Newport, Isle of Wight.
- Ceremonies are usually held twice each month.
- Please arrive half an hour before the ceremony starts to register your details with a member of our staff. You may bring two guests with you.
- Important notice: All new citizens are required to present a Citizenship Ceremony Invitation provided by UKVI (letter or email format can be accepted) and a form of photographic ID (Passport / Travel Document /Driving licence / Biometric Residence Permit card.) If the customer does not provide both of these documents they are not permitted to attend the Citizenship Ceremony at that time.
Private Citizenship Ceremonies
We can also arrange Private Citizenship Ceremonies. This ceremony incurrs an additional fee.
For further information on this service view our private citizenship ceremonies web page or please contact us online by completing the send a message to service form.