Register a birth
ALL BIRTH REGISTRATIONS ARE SUSPENDED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
Normally when someone is born, it is a legal requirement that a birth is registered with the register office within 42 calendar days of the birth. Unfortunately, due to the Corona Virus the registration of births is currently suspended. This could impact on the legal timescales set by government required to register a birth, therefore, at this time can you please contact us and once the current restrictions are lifted we will contact you.
When someone is born, it is a legal requirement that their birth must be registered with the register office within 42 calendar days of the birth. It is best to use the register office in the area where the person was born.
Booking a registration appointment
The Isle of Wight Register Office operates on an appointment system. You will need to make an appointment to register the birth, please call us on 01983 823233.
- When registering twins a double appointment is required.
- We are not open weekends.
Guidance on who can register a birth
For guidance on who can register a birth please visit the GOV.UK website.
Information you need when registering a birth
When registering the birth, you should know:
- Place and date of the birth of the baby.
- Name, surname and sex of the baby.
- Parents’ names, surnames and address.
- Places and dates of parents’ birth.
- Date of parents’ marriage or civil partnership.
- Parents’ jobs.
- Mother’s maiden surname.
What you should take to your appointment at the Isle of Wight Register Office
You should take at least one form of identification when you go to the register office. You can use:
- Birth certificate.
- Deed poll.
- Driving licence.
- Proof of address (eg utility bill).
- Council Tax bill.
- Marriage or civil partnership certificate.
Please note: You should also take your child’s personal child health record or ‘red book’
Payments & fees
- Please pay for certificates by cash or card, we do not accept cheques.
- Birth certificates will be £11.00 each on and after the day of registration.