Local Area Designated Officer (LADO)
Local authorities should have a designated officer or team to be involved in the management and oversight of allegations against people who work with children. This role is known as LADO (Local Authority Designated Officer).
The LADO's role is to:
- give advice and guidance to employers and voluntary organisations
- liaise with the police and other agencies
- monitor the progress of cases to ensure that they are dealt with as quickly as possible consistent with a thorough and fair process.
The LADO works within Children’s Services and should be alerted to all cases in which it is alleged that a person working with children has:
- behaved in a way that has or may have harmed a child
- possibly committed a criminal offence against or related to a child
- behaved towards a child or children in a way that is or may be a risk of harm to children
Phone: 01962 876364
IOW Lado c/o MASH
Hampshire County Council
Parkway, 94-96 Wickham Road