Council Tax explained

If you’re 18 years or over and own, rent, or live in a property, you will likely have to pay Council Tax. This includes if your home is a:

  • house
  • bungalow
  • mobile home
  • maisonette
  • houseboat.

The owner of the property must pay the bill rather than the occupants if:

  • the property is no one’s main home
  • more than one household lives in the property (house of multiple occupancy)
  • the property is lived in by religious communities or ministers
  • the property is a residential care home, nursing home or hostel
  • the property is lived in by residential staff
  • it is a house for asylum seekers.

Find out more on GOV.UK.

How its calculated

Council Tax is used to pay for the delivery of local services. These include:

  • fire and police
  • roads
  • education
  • libraries
  • bin collection.

The levels are set in February each year by full council. Find out where we get our funding from and how we plan to spend it.

Your bill includes an amount towards the cost of the parish, town or community council for the area you live.

Council Tax related to the Police and Crime Commissioner for Hampshire will increase by 4.4% in 2022 to 2023.

The percentage increase by the Hampshire & Isle of Wight Fire Authority will be shown on your bill.

Adult social care can charge a precept to help meet spending on the service since 1 April 2016.

Find out more about how Council Tax is calculated.