Discretionary Housing Payments

How can Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP) help?

This scheme is to help you if you need financial help with rent because of special circumstances. It does not cover payments of Local Council Tax Support. It is an extra payment where Housing Benefit entitlement and Universal Credit housing costs do not cover the full amount of rent. Payments are discretionary and are usually for a limited time only to allow you to seek another solution.

We can’t give payments:

  • for rent if you’re not entitled to Housing Benefit
  • for deductions from Universal Credit housing costs
  • for rent you owe
  • if your Housing Benefit payments are suspended
  • for service charges not covered by Housing Benefit or Universal Credit
  • If your DWP benefit has been sanctioned.

Find out more about the Discretionary Housing Payment policy.

There is no right of appeal against the refusal to grant an award. Any award granted will be paid alongside your housing benefit payment.

How to apply

If you think you need extra help, complete the Discretionary Housing Payment form.