Guidance for your project

Building regulation charges explained

The charges for Building Regulation work covers the cost of providing the service.

Methods of establishing the charge

There are two methods of establishing the charge for building works:

  1. Standard charges (a set cost)
  2. Individually determined charges (quotation by Building Control)
  • standard charges are for common domestic projects and small non-domestic projects
  • if the type of work is not listed as a standard charge, the fee is based on the estimated cost of work from a tradesperson
  • larger schemes will be individually determined

We will give an individually determined quotation within five working days from the date of request. The quotation is valid for six months.

For a Full plans application:

  • you need to pay the Plan Charge when you submit your application
  • you will receive an invoice for the Inspection Charge upon commencement of works

For a Building Notice application:

  • you need to pay the total Building Notice charge when you submit your application
  • the total charge is equivalent to the Full Plans Plan Charge plus the Inspection Charge

There is an extra charge for large projects submitted under a Building Notice. This is because of the added complexity of ensuring compliance with the regulations.

Full Plans applications are required for all non-domestic work.

Email for more information and a quotation.

Additional charges and notes

Postal applications will incur an additional £25 administration charge.

The charge for Regularisation applications will be 150% of the equivalent net total charge.

Where an application has not had a site visit for over 2 years due to the works ceasing or being completed with no notification to the authority, an additional charge of £75 + VAT (£90) will be made to undertake a completion inspection and issue a completion certificate if works are considered satisfactory. If further visits are required to complete the works then additional charges may also be required.

These notes are not comprehensive.

Please email if you need further help.

The full scheme for the recovery of building control charges is available on request.

Useful links and guides for renovation

If you are a homeowner planning to update, renovate or extend your property, these guides may be useful:

  • the extensions and conversion guide includes information on loft conversions, garage conversions, cellar conversions and building an extension
  • the green home guide provides information and advice on how to create environmentally friendly homes
  • The Planning Portal interactive house provides access to a wide range of information to help you with your project
  • LABC Front Door provides independent practical advice on all aspects of home improvements, and much more. LABC represent all local building control teams in England Wales.
  • the Historic Buildings guide provides information on regulations and requirements

Building over or near a public sewer or shared drain

If you are thinking about building an extension, conservatory or garage to your home, this could have an impact on your underground sewers. At an early stage you will need to know where your pipes are as this could affect your design. You may also need approval from Southern Water.

Party wall guidance

If you intend to carry out building work affecting the party wall or make excavations near the party wall. You will need to be aware of your responsibilities detailed in the Party Wall etc. Act 1996. This is a separate piece of legislation to the building regulations and is not controllable by us.