Reporting Accidents and Ill Health

Under The Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013 (RIDDOR) employers, including those who are self employed, must report and keep a record of certain injuries, incidents and cases of work related ill health and disease.

What should be reported

Not all accidents need to be reported, a RIDDOR report is only needed for:

  • work-related accidents resulting in deaths
  • work-related accidents that cause certain serious injuries (reportable injuries)
  • diagnosed cases of certain industrial diseases
  • certain 'dangerous occurrences' (incidents with the potential to cause harm).

Keeping records will help you to identify patterns of accidents and injuries, and will help when completing your risk assessment. Your insurance company may also want to see your records if there is a work-related claim. You are strongly advised to carry out an investigation into all incidents, accidents and near misses and record what you do, and any outcome.

Find out more on RIDDOR.

Related links