Paying for your care

There are two main funding options available for those entitled to care:

  • we can help you pay for your care, which is known as being council-funded
  • pay for care yourself, which is known as being a self-funder​.

How much you pay will depend on the outcome of your financial assessment. During the assessment, we’ll ask for evidence of your income, savings, and expenses.


If you have less than £23,250* in savings and investments, then you may be eligible for us to pay towards the cost of your care. What care you need and how much you must pay will depend on your financial assessment. 

Financial assessment

Once you have had your care needs assessed with a social care worker, a financial assessment will be completed to work out how much you need to pay towards your care. More information is provided in the Charging for adult social care services guide (PDF, 238KB).

If you’re a self-funder

If you have savings and investments worth more than £23,250* you will have to pay the full cost of your care. This is known as being a self-funder.

As a self-funder, you can arrange and pay for your own care. However, if you wish, we can help you find suitable care and arrange a direct debit payment for a weekly administration fee of £10, which will be added to your monthly invoice.

If you need care while remaining in your own home, the value of your house isn’t counted as part of your savings and investments. However, if you need to go into residential or nursing care, the value of your home may be included.

If your savings run out

If your savings fall below £23,250*, you may be able to get help with the cost of your care.

Contact us when your savings and investments drop below £29,000 and we’ll reassess your finances.

*The upper capital limit is set by national government legislation and is subject to change.