Homelessness assessment

We provide advice and support if you are homeless or facing homelessness. Complete a homelessness enquiry to let us know about your needs. 

We'll then contact you to assess your housing situation and give you advice if you are unable to find accommodation. We may accept a duty to help prevent or relieve your homelessness if you are eligible.

If you need help to fill out the form or have any questions, contact us.

Eligibility for assistance

During your assessment, we ask you to provide some documents to show you are eligible for homelessness assistance, such as your:

If you have recently returned to live the UK or have been given leave to enter, we may ask for additional information from you. 

Proof of homelessness

You may be asked to provide documents that show that you are homeless or threatened with homelessness. The documents you will be asked to provide are dependent on your circumstances but may include:

  • your tenancy agreement and associated documents
  • a notice or a court order to vacate (when you have been asked to leave your home by someone you live with, such as your landlord or family).

If you are eligible, we'll accept a homelessness duty to provide you with advice and assistance. We will try and help you resolve any issue to remain in your home or to secure alternative accommodation.

We may require more information to assess how we can support you best. The documents we request you to share will depend on your circumstances. They may include:

  • evidence of children and parental responsibility
  • information of any medical conditions
  • employment contract, wage slips, or benefits paperwork
  • bank statements
  • evidence of any debts that you have

Personal housing plan (PHP)

If we accept a homelessness duty for you, we'll agree a personal housing plan (PHP) with you to help you stay in your home, if possible, or to secure alternative accommodation. The PHP will provide the steps to take and when these actions need to be completed.

If we can't find suitable short-term accommodation, we may decide to provide a long-term housing duty for you.

Island connection

You need to show a local connection to the Island for long-term assistance. This means either you live, work, or have immediate family here (usually a parent, sibling or adult child) that may help to support you.

However, if you do not have a local connection, there are some instances when we may be able to accept a housing or homelessness duty for you. You can speak with the housing officer about your situation.

Emergency accommodation

If you are homeless and are considered to have priority need, you may be eligible for emergency housing.https://www.iow.gov.uk/housing-and-adult-social-care/housing-services/homelessness/homelessness-assessment/

If you are placed in emergency accommodation, we'll continue to provide you with support and assistance to help relieve your homelessness.

Temporary accommodation

If we are unable to help you prevent or relieve your homelessness, we may accept a duty to provide you with temporary accommodation.

We may not be able to accept this duty if you are considered 'intentionally homeless'.  These will be discussed with you during your assessment, but it means you lost your home because of something you deliberately did or did not do. One example may be if you lost your home due to not paying your rent.

We will look into your situation and may find that your homelessness has been caused intentionally. If this happens, you may legally challenge the decision with your right of review.

Right of review

You can ask for decisions to be reviewed if you don't agree with any of the decisions we make on your behalf.

Any review is carried out by a senior officer who was not involved with the original decision. If you do not agree with this, you can appeal to the County Court.

You will be advised how you may request a review when you are given any decision.

Related links