Money worries

General money worries

If you are worried about money, there are a number of organisations on the Island you can talk to. 

If you are in genuine hardship and quickly need help with food, gas and electricity in an emergency, please contact Help Through Crisis.

Worries about fuel costs

Get more information if you are worried about your energy bills

Local Council Tax Support and housing benefit

Find out more about Local Council Tax Support and housing benefit on this link on our website. If you need information urgently, please call us on 823950.

If you are struggling to pay your council tax, or have received a reminder notice or summons get more information on the council website or call us on 823901.

Paying your rent or mortgage

There is information about dealing with debt including rent and mortgage arrears on the Citizens Advice website

You can also contact the Money Team at Isle of Wight Citizens Advice

Help with exceptional housing costs for vulnerable households is available as part of the Household Support Fund funded by the Department for Work and Pensions. More information about who is eligible and how to apply for funding is on the connect4communities website

Help paying your water bill

You may be able to get help with your water bill if any of the following apply to you:

  • Your household income is low
  • Someone in your home gets a means-tested benefit
  • You’ve got three or more children under 19 living at home
  • Someone living with you needs more water because of a medical condition
  • You haven’t made a payment to Southern Water for a while

You can get more information and apply on the Southern Water website. 

Help with phone and broadband costs

A social tariff can help if you're struggling to pay mobile and broadband bills. They are available on the Isle of Wight. 
You could save around £180 a year on a social tariff for broadband and phones if you're on a low income.
Find out if you qualify and get more information on the Ofcom website

Other support

  • Veterans and their dependents may be able to access an Everyday Needs Grant from the Royal British Legion
  • Any Islander who is aged 19 or over and does not have maths GCSE at grade c or above can take part in free training courses. Multiply is a new programme to help adults improve their maths skills with free courses. The training could lead you on the first steps towards gaining a maths qualification or help you use maths to manage your household budget. Get more info our website
  • Get free and impartial advice about money from the government backed website MoneyHelper
  • Look for other money saving ideas and information about the cost of living on the BBC website.
  • Help to Save is the government savings scheme for low-income earners, which offers a 50% bonus payment worth up to £1,200 over four years. Savers can deposit between £1 and £50 a month into their account and will receive a government bonus– even if money has been withdrawn. Savers will earn a 50p bonus for every £1 saved. The bonus payments are paid in the second and fourth years.