Support with energy bills

If you spend more than 10% of your monthly income on fuel costs, you are in fuel poverty. 

If you are in genuine hardship and need help with food, gas and electricity in an emergency, please contact Help Through Crisis.

You can email or call 01983 823859.

Local support

The Footprint Trust provide information on saving energy and water in the home on the Island. You can call them on 01983 822282 or use their website for more information

In partnership with Ventnor Co-op, Ventnor Town Council can issue vouchers for food or fuel meter top-ups. You must be referred by Ventnor Community Foodbank, Baby Box IW, Ventnor Early Years or family liaison officers at local schools.

Living Well and Early Help, Isle of Wight can help with food, energy, debt and housing advice. They also run community groups, coffee mornings and other activities. You can call them on 01983 240732 or email

Other support

The Home Upgrade Grant is a government scheme that can help improve the energy efficiency of vulnerable and low-income homes. It is for homes that do not have gas central heating. The money can towards things like insulation, air source heat pumps, solar panels and heating controls to help save up to £400 a year on energy bills. 

You may qualify for the money if the following apply:  

  • Your home has an EPC rating of E, F or G (limited funding is available for EPC D rated properties) 

​And either:  You have a total household annual income of £30,000 or less (before housing costs/bills)  


You receive a means-tested benefit. 
Get more information about the scheme on this website

The Warm Home DiscountCheck if you're eligible for the government Warm Home Discount in England and Wales

The Energy Bills Support Scheme Alternative Funding (EBSS AF) provides support of £400 for energy bills for households in England, Scotland, and Wales who do not have a direct relationship to a domestic electricity supplier. The scheme is open until 31 May 2023.

Residents who are eligible to receive support under EBSS AF include:

  • care home residents and others in care facilities/sheltered accommodation (wholly or partly self-funded)
  • park home residents, houseboats and caravans that can provide proof of address
  • social and private tenants who pay for energy through a landlord on a commercial supply
  • homes on a heat network/private wire
  • off-grid homes
  • farmhouses used for wholly domestic purposes

If you are eligible, please fill out a short form on the government website. You can also apply by calling 0808175328.

The Alternative Fuel Payment (AFP) scheme
provides £200 to households who use alternative fuels such as heating oil, liquefied petroleum gas, coal or biomass. This includes people who live in houses fuelled by

  • logs
  • waste wood 
  • pellets

Most eligible households have received the payment automatically via their electricity supplier in February 2023. 

A small number of households may need to apply for the scheme, for example, those without a relationship with an electricity supplier.

To check eligibility and apply, use this link on the government website. This scheme closes on 31 May 2023. 

If you need help with your application for the AFP, an Isle of Wight Council officer will be at Pan Together, Downside Community Centre on Wednesday 17 and Wednesday 24 May from 9am to 3pm.

If you are on a traditional prepayment meter you should have been sent monthly vouchers from the Energy Bills Support Scheme from October 2022 to March 2023.
Many vouchers haven't been redeemed. You only have until 30 June to redeem your vouchers to get help with your energy bills. 
Important information: 

  • Vouchers expire after 90 days but you can ask your supplier to reissue them if lost, not received or expired.
  • The supplier sends information with each voucher advising whether they should be taken to a Post Office or PayPoint.
  • Some clients may have received their discount via a Special Action Message.

 Any issues, including problems with a supplier’s helpline can be sent to Read more on the government website.

If you're struggling to pay your bills get tips from Martin Lewis Money Saving Expert.

Get tips and actions for saving energy from ofgem