Museum of Island History
February half-term activities
Riders craft activity
|Date: Tuesday 13 and Thursday 15
Time: 10am to 1pm
Cost: Adults £1, Children 50p - includes entry to the museum
Booking not required
What you will find when you visit
The Museum of Island History is situated within the historic Guildhall on Newport High Street. The museum provides a fascinating exploration of Island history from the time of the dinosaurs to the present day.
Visitors can view incredible objects highlighting the Island’s diverse historical past including:
- hands on displays
- the latest archaeological finds
- as well as visit a range of exciting, changing exhibitions throughout the year.
For any enquiries about our collections, contact the Curator of Human History by contacting us direct.
Visit our museum collections for more information about some of our exhibits.
- Tuesdays: 10am to 1pm
- Thursdays: 10am to 1pm
- adults £1
- children 50p.
Come and browse the museum shop for history-inspired gifts.
The Museum of Island History is located in the centre of Newport, the county town of the Isle of Wight. You can visit by:
- foot – the museum can be found in the lower High Street, in the centre of Newport.
- bus – the museum is less than five minutes’ walk from the central bus station in Newport. Visit the Island buses website provided by Southern Vectis for more information about bus travel on the Isle of Wight.
- car – there is no parking at the museum, but there is pay and display on-street parking and car parks nearby in central Newport.
The Museum of Island History is accessible to wheelchair users and there is an accessible toilet on site. You are welcome to contact us by using our online send a message to service form prior to your visit for further information or to discuss your needs.
Schools and special groups
We can open for schools and groups by appointment outside of our normal opening hours.
Clay mascots made by visitors.
Our visitors have said:
- “full of information and great photos of the Island”
- “Informative, well laid out, interactive and child-friendly”.
If you’ve visited, leave us a review or send us a compliment.