School transport FAQs

Frequently asked questions and answers about home to school transport

By applying for transport assistance, you give the council permission to consult with colleagues in SEN and to use current documents such as the EHCP, to help the Panel understand the individual needs and circumstances of the young person. We may, within reason, ask parent/carers for written evidence to support any reasons given for not being available to assist the young person with their transport needs. This might include but is not limited to, a letter from an employer or a medical professional.

What evidence do I need to provide to support my request for low income transport?

You will need to provide the award letter to show that you are in receipt of any of the following benefits:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
  • Income-related Employment Support Allowance
  • Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credit provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190
  • Working Tax Credit run-on-paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Taxi Credit
  • Universal Credit provided you have an annual net earned income of no more than £7,400