How to volunteer
If you have a few hours spare each month, consider supporting an IW school by becoming a School Governor.
Schools value their partnerships with the local community, which brings great benefits to their children.
You don’t need to have any experience or connection to the school. Training and a full range of support are available to help you get to know more about the role and find out which areas are of interest to you.
Governance is a rewarding role where you will be able to meet new people, develop your own skills and confidence and work as part of a team
You will need:
- a desire to contribute to the development of the school and its community
- an interest in ensuring all children are able to enjoy and get the most out of their time in school
- an open and enquiring mind
- the ability to look at issues objectively
- a willingness to listen, ask questions and make informed judgements
- the ability to work well with others
- time to help make a difference.
The governing board provides strategic direction and supports school improvement. Governors work as a team to oversee and hold the school to account for educational performance and financial probity.
Governing bodies are more effective when they can draw on a diverse range of experience, skills and abilities. Applications will be welcomed from anyone who would be prepared to give time and commitment to supporting a school and its children on the road to improvement.
Apply online to be a school governor.