Apply for a child employment permit

For a young person, getting a job and earning money is an exciting first step into the adult world. We aim to support and safeguard them as they take this step. If you wish to employ a young person for either paid or unpaid work, you must obtain a permit from us. We will need to be satisfied that the employment of a young person is not likely to harm their health, safety or welfare and they are able to work in safe conditions. You must complete the application form and the child and their parent/legal guardian must also sign it.

Employers must apply for a work permit within seven days of a child starting work.

To apply you must:

  • Complete the child employment permit application form (PDF, 290KB) 
  • Obtain the child's and their parent/legal guardian's signature
  • Complete a risk assessment of the work the child will be doing. The risk assessment should include specific identification of hazards (including COVID-19) as a result of conducting their business. When completing this risk assessment you should consider the possible lack of awareness of risks, immaturity and inexperience of the young person. Once completed you should share a copy of the risk assessment with the parent/guardian and it must also be available for inspection by any Local Authority Officer.
  • Email (scans accepted) or post application form to us at the address detailed on the form. 

Every application we receive is checked to ensure you are aware of:

  • regulations
  • legal responsibility towards the young person

We also check the young person’s school attendance and whether the employment may impact on their education.

We aim to process work permit applications within seven working days of receiving them, but at peak times there may be a delay.  Once processed we will issue you with the work permit, which is valid for 12 months from the issue date. If there are any changes to a young person’s role or hours or employment ceases, the employer should notify us immediately.  If employment is to continue beyond 12 months the employer must submit a new application form.

View our privacy notice.