Appeal a decision

You can make an appeal if you disagree with any decision made about you by our adult social care services, such as regarding your care needs or finances. Making an appeal means your care or complaint will be reviewed by someone different to the person who made the original decision.

If possible, make your appeal to us within ten working days after receiving the original decision.

Help with your appeal

If you require advocacy support to make your appeal, we can advise how to get help from an independent agency. A friend, relative, carer, or support worker can also assist you to make your appeal.

How to make an appeal

The ways you can make your appeal with us are:

  • you can email 
  • you can call us
  • you can make a face-to-face appointment
  • you can write an appeal letter or complete a form and post it to:
Adult Social Care Complaints and Appeals
Isle of Wight Council
County Hall, High Street
Newport PO30 1UD

If you would prefer to fill out an appeal form, please contact us and request a paper copy to be posted to you.

Your appeal should include: 

  • your contact details, including your full name, address, phone number, and email address 
  • what you are appealing, for example your assessment or your independence plan 
  • what you disagree with about the outcome you received 
  • the reasons why you disagree with the outcome 
  • any supporting information, people we should speak with, or documents you have not previously submitted.

What happens next

We will acknowledge receipt of your appeal within three working days. We aim to send a full response within 20 working days from the date we acknowledge we have received it. If it takes us longer to make a decision, we will keep you up to date with what is happening.

You may be contacted to provide more information to support your appeal or to discuss a resolution. You will receive the final decision in writing, at which point there's no further appeal.

If you are unhappy with the outcome of your appeal, you can ask the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman to review your appeal.