Immigration accommodation certificates

If you wish to sponsor a third party to enter and live in the UK, you need to apply for an immigration accommodation certificate (IAC) for your property.

An inspection is required to check:

  • the property will not become overcrowded
  • for any hazards present 
  • the severity of any hazards.

The inspection must follow the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) and be carried out by one of our Housing Renewal Officers.

Apply for an inspection

Download the application pack (PDF, 218KB). Guidance notes for completing your application are included. The application processing fee is currently £492.00

The sponsor should complete the application. Include information about the person wishing to enter the UK and the property in question. In addition to the completed application form, complete a proof of tenure (property ownership or tenancy).

If you are the owner occupier, you will need to provide proof of property ownership by taking a proof of ownership form to your Solicitor or Bank/ Building society (or other suitably qualified person). The form to be completed can be found in the application pack. It is also acceptable to provide evidence from the Land Registry.

If you are the tenant, you are required to provide a copy of the current tenancy agreement that you have for the property, along with a current copy of the gas safety certificate (if you use gas appliances) at the property. You will also be required to ask your landlord to sign and complete a landlord's consent form provided in the application pack.

All sponsors must provide proof of occupation in the form of a utility bill or bank statement linked to the property address.

If you do not provide all of the relevant documents at the point of submission, it may prolong your application.

The application and support documents should be sent to the address provided in the application pack.

What happens after we receive your application?

We will contact you within 28 days of receiving your completed application for an inspection. A housing renewal officer (HRO) will arrange a time and date to inspect the property.

If you are in rented accommodation, contact will be made through your landlord for access to the property.

Following the inspection, the HRO will write to you advising what is the result and if there are any hazards to remove. This letter, if the property passes the inspection, is your accommodation certificate. We will forward a copy to the relevant embassy dealing with your sponsorship application.

Failure to remove serious hazards may result in an enforcement notice being served to rectify the hazard or formally raise awareness of it.

Email the Housing Renewal team