NHS health checks
We do not provide this service directly so please contact your registered GP practice to book in for a health check.
As we get older, we have a higher risk of developing something dangerous like high blood pressure, heart disease or Type 2 diabetes. Your NHS health check can spot early signs and help prevent these happening to you, which means you'll be more likely to enjoy life for longer.
The NHS health check takes 20 to 30 minutes and covers:
- Height and weight measurement (BMI)
- Blood pressure and cholesterol check
- Questions on family history and lifestyle choices
- Diabetes risk
- Cardiovascular disease risk score
- Dementia risk
After your health check you will be taken through your results and provided with personalised advice. Once you are aware of your individual risks, you’ll be able to take steps to reduce them, improving your chance of maintaining or improving your health as you get older.
Taking up the offer of a free NHS health check could improve your health overall. It will improve the health and wellbeing of people on the Island through early detection and in the long term should reduce the cost on health and social care services.
Eligibility criteria for NHS health checks
To receive a health check, you must:
- be between 40 and 74 years old
- not have been diagnosed or prescribed medication any of the following pre-existing conditions: heart disease, high cholesterol (statins), diabetes, kidney disease or high blood pressure
- not have received an NHS health check in the last five years
If you are eligible you will receive an invitation letter from your GP around your 40, 45, 50, 55, 60, 65 and 70 birthdays.