Council vehicle drivers authorisation (CVDA)

A Council Vehicle Drivers Authorisation (CVDA) permit is needed to drive a council owned, operated or insured vehicle. Failure to get a current CVDA will result in possible invalidation of insurance cover.

If authorisation to drive a minibus is sought, the applicant must be in possession of a current MiDAS Certificate (Minibus Driver Awareness Scheme).

To enable the Fleet Administration Team to check the driver records, the applicant must visit the GOV.UK website - Driving Licence . Follow the onscreen instructions to create a licence ‘check code’.

You'll need to input a:

  • driving licence number
  • national insurance number 
  • the postcode on the driving licence

Follow the instructions to access the driving licence, which can then be selected and shared.

The check code generated is only valid for 21 days. It is a good idea to complete the online CVDA application form at the same time as creating the code. This will ensure the code does not expire before we can undertake the CVDA authorisation process. By providing the check code obtained from the GOV.UK website - Driving Licence, this will allow us to view driving license details for the 21 days, until expiry.